- Save time and money by letting us do the legwork for you
- We will look at the most suitable and competitive providers for you
- Our expert service is 100 % free with no-obligation
- Get the options to make an informed decision and get the best deal
Commercial cleaning: Hospital and medical cleaning services
Cleaning medical premises such as doctors' offices, hospitals or laboratories must be carried out meticulously because of the high risk of contamination or contracting nosocomial diseases.
Hospital and medical cleaning services: how does it work?
Hygiene measures in a hospital or medical practice are ensured so that no viruses or microbes can contaminate a patient. It is a question of cleaning and above all of completely disinfecting each part of the infrastructure.
Several operations must be carried out:
- Frequent ventilation of the entire premises, to evacuate as many viruses and bacteria as possible from the air so as not to contaminate patients and accompanying persons.
- Recurrent vacuuming and cleaning of floors: vacuuming, use of a scrubber-dryer, single-disc machine or use of a floor cloth. This applies to both the rooms and all the common areas. It is also common for resin surfaces to be stripped.
- Application of special emulsions to strengthen the floors, making them more impermeable to dirt and liquids.
- Total and repeated cleaning and disinfection of the areas in contact with the hands: elevator buttons, switches, controls for opening corridor doors, beverage and snack machines, public telephone...
- Meticulous maintenance of the sanitary facilities by vacuuming, washing and disinfecting the floors, disinfection of the air....
- Fabric cleaning: curtains and other curtains.
Maintenance technicians are subjected to strict rules
The maintenance technicians in charge of hospital and medical cleaning services must comply with a set of mandatory hygiene rules such as:
- Wearing appropriate clothing, regularly cleaned.
- Recurrent hand washing and disinfection with a bactericide.
- Wearing special gloves for cleaning.
- Wearing protective glasses.
- Wearing special shoes, used only inside the establishment.
In addition, a precise cleaning process is set up for each area that is cleaned.
The protocol requires that the maintenance technician starts with the least contaminated parts of the site and then works his way to the most sensitive parts that are subject to significant bacterial contamination.
To do this, the cleaning techniques used are as follows:
- Dusting, vacuuming and wet cleaning with detergent, broom, mop.
- Thorough disinfection of sensitive areas with detergent and disinfectant.
- Biocleaning: application of a disinfecting product capable of eliminating the last remaining bacteria and microorganisms by means of steam nebulization combined with the application of a special product.
Hospital and medical cleaning companies
Maintenance technicians in hospitals and medical practices must receive appropriate training. In addition to cleaning protocols, a training in microbiology and chemistry is provided. In other words, the choice of your cleaning company must respect a few precautions:
- Check the competence of maintenance technicians.
- Contact companies experienced in hospital cleaning.
- Ask for detailed quotes before choosing a medical cleaning services provider.
Classification of cleaning areas and drafting of the specifications
When writing your cleaning specifications, the premises must be divided into zones, according to the potential risk of contamination, which will determine the cleaning technics to be used.
Examples of classification of risk areas:
- Reception rooms, entrance halls and other traffic corridors are part of Zone 1, which requires standard daily treatment.
- Waiting or consultation rooms, laboratories, classified as Zone 2, must be completely biocleaned with detergents and disinfectants.
- Sanitary and surgical rooms (e. g. dentists) belong to zone 3 and are treated with steam biocleaning.
Discover the buying guide for Commercial cleaning
Construction and building site cleaning services
Floor cleaning: the two-bucket mopping system
What is disaster clean up?
Window cleaning: techniques, costs and service providers
What are specialised cleaning companies?
What cleaning services are offered to businesses?
Hygiene standards specific to restaurants, laundries and agri-food companies