Discover the most frequently asked Copiers and printers questions
What is a multifunction printer?
Multifunction printers or “MFPs” put together, in one single machine, the features of a printer, a copier, a scanner, and sometimes also of a fax machine. By definition, MFPs are necessarily connected to a computer by wired or wireless connection but can sometimes be operated directly from their own control panel like standalone copiers.
In 2019, multifunction printers can be:
- Inkjet multifunction printers, almost always allowing colour printing as well as black-and-white printing,
- Black-and-white laser multifunction printers,
- Colour laser multifunction printers,
- 3-in-1 multifunction printers (print-scan-copy) using either inkjet or laser technology, printing either in black-and-white or in colour,
- 4-in-1 multifunction printers (print-scan-copy-fax) – because fax is falling out of favour in the UK, multifunction printers sold on this market now rarely have fax feature.
Note that black-and-white versions can scan images in colour.
Advantages of these machines include:
- Convenience in usage compared to separate devices,
- Much smaller footprint than a combination of all respective devices,
- Cost savings related to lower electricity consumption.
Discriminating factors which can be looked into to select the best multifunction printer include:
- Number of functions (with or without fax),
- Colour printing support,
- Printing technology (laser is better for fast printing, inkjet better for colour printing),
- Scanner resolution (if you need high-resolution scanning, check the scanner resolution of the model carefully. Scanner resolutions for multifunction printers are often low),
- Printing resolution (the standard resolution of 300 dpi will be good enough for most printing, unless you require photo quality),
- Available connections (wired, wireless, network like Ethernet or Wifi or simply local like USB),
- Related applications and software, especially for mobile printing,
- Multitasking capabilities,
- Total cost of ownership and cost-per-page.
We therefore recommend comparing several quotes in multifunction printer to choose the best device for your business at the right price.
Discover more Copiers and printers questions :
Printer, copier, MFP: what are the differences?
Multifunction printers: what are they?
What is a stand-alone photocopier?
What’s the difference between photocopiers, printers, MFDs and MFPs?
How long is a typical service contract for a printer-photocopier?
Inkjet or laser: how to make a comparison of printers technologies?
What is a fax machine?
What are photocopier hazards?
What are the different applications of 3D printer?
What are laptop printers?
What are portable printers?
What are the practical uses for 3D printers?
What are the uses of thermal printers in daily life?
Digital copiers: what are the key features?
What is the price of a professional large format printer?
Multifunction printers: what are the present trends?
What is a copier or photocopier?
Digital copiers: how do they work?
Refurbished professional copiers: how much are they?