Discover the most frequently asked Copiers and printers questions
What are photocopier hazards?
Yes, photocopiers can be dangerous machines. They are known to produce several hazards which should be taken seriously into account. Here’s a list of known photocopier hazards, and what to do to protect yourself and others against them.
Known photocopier hazards include:
- Ozone gas production: this highly reactive, unstable and colourless, but not odourless gas which can affect respiratory tract, lungs and even the eyes;
- Toner dust is also dangerous for the respiratory tract, going as far as to cause respiratory tract irritation, sneezing and coughing - people suffering from bronchitis and asthma should stay clear of the machines, especially when changing toners;
- Photocopier overheating may cause the release of selenium, which if inhaled, can cause insomnia, upper respiratory tract disorders, poor concentration at work, irritation of the lips and of the eyes;
- Photocopiers may also release carbon monoxide gas, which is a deadly poisonous gas, causing nausea, headaches, dizziness and death;
- The bright lights produced by photocopiers can be very dangerous for the eyes.
But there are many ways you can protect oneself against these photocopier hazards:
- Getting an ozone filter;
- Regularly ventilating the room where the photocopier is placed;
- Following maintenance guidelines strictly;
- Taking extra care when refilling or changing toners;
- Staying clear from the photocopier as often as possible, and as far as possible.
Discover more Copiers and printers questions :
What is a multifunction printer?
What is a stand-alone photocopier?
What’s the difference between photocopiers, printers, MFDs and MFPs?
How long is a typical service contract for a printer-photocopier?
Inkjet or laser: how to make a comparison of printers technologies?
What is a fax machine?
What are the different applications of 3D printer?
What are laptop printers?
What are portable printers?
What are the practical uses for 3D printers?
What are the uses of thermal printers in daily life?